Wednesday 19 March 2014

Game Diary: 17/03/2014-19/03/2014

Super Smash Bros Melee (Gamecube)
I don't really want to talk about this much anymore, I've played it a bit, I'm still getting better, I won a match against a person I couldn't beat previously and I didn't get picked to represent the University at the game because I never attended any trials because I was too obsessed with playing Guilty Gear.

Animal Crossing (Gamecube)
It's been a while but I finally gave this a play, nothing has changed in the weeks I've been away, there are lots of weeds and one of the towns people left but I don't feel like I've missed anything at all. I guess taking a break from the game was good for me as now I feel like I can play it when I feel like playing it.

Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Wii)
I'm pretty much done with this for the time being. I've moved onto something that is better in every way.

Trauma Center: New Blood (Wii)
I started this, I finished this. When I encounter a game I have never played before and get into it I end up feeling really good, I never wanted to stop playing this game. The game is a huge improvement over previous Trauma Center games, the game is a lot faster, the story has much better pacing, the gameplay has more variety and a lot of things that were annoying or frustrating in the previous games (getting a miss for putting objects back on the trey) have been removed. What puzzles me then is all the negative reviews for this game that criticise it for being too difficult and frustrating, maybe it's just because I played this coming off Second Opinion but I didn't find New Blood particularly difficult, I'll admit the early levels were clearly more complex than those in Under the Knife and Second Opinion but it wasn't a difficulty spike by any means.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife (DS)
Playing the above games made me want to go back and try the original DS game again as I never completed it when I played it years ago. It's weird, I never thought I'd find the wii controls better than the DS for a game like this, I don't think it is a case of Wii controls being better than the DS touch screen. Under the Knife was the first Trauma Center game and it shows, there are so many small differences in the gameplay that I'm glad were removed or refined in later games, for example in Under the Knife you have to suck up liquids manually which makes draining fluids harder because you cannot move the drain, the syringe also has to be filled manually every time you use it, there are other differences like this too and I'm glad they were dropped from all future games (I can't remember if they returned in Under the Kinfe 2, I hope not).

Metroid Prime Pinball (DS)
I'm glad to have this again, I hardly get to ever play it but I really like pinball, I know there are lots of pinball games like Pinball FX but I've just never been interested in it, games like Metroid Prime Pinball, Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire and Devil Crush though I'm quite fond of.
My copy came with the DS Rumble Pack and I always forget how useless these things are, they have such a weak rumble that you might as well tape a vibrator to your DS for all the good it does.
Metroid Prime Pinball is a pretty good take on the pinball format, it has a lot of the things I like, lots of metal bits, loud noises, gameplay that becomes rewarding as you get better, it has its gimmicky bits but I don't mind them because it gives you a quick break from juggling balls around the board. It isn't a ground breaking pinball game or anything but it does everything right as far as I am concerned, multiball never gets boring.

Go Go Cosmo Cops (DS)
So this is a game I bought despite never having heard of it and not having any information to go on. I more or less bought this because of the box art, namely the bit that says Namco. I'm kind of into Namco games, mainly their earlier stuff. I don't know why I went and bought this, I think I just wanted something new and different.
Anyway this game is actually decent, it reminds me of those DK King of Swing games Nintendo Made years ago. I haven't played very far into this but it seems very arcade like in its design, like the game took one idea and just ran with it to see how far it can be taken. Interestingly this game according to Wikipedia is a European exclusive, Japan didn't even get this (it was cancelled). 

No comments:

Post a Comment